Bernard Rougier comes on the show to discuss Lebanese Sunni jihadism. Some of the topics covered include:
- How Lebanese first got involved in jihadism in Afghanistan in the 1980s
- How the Lebanese scene became connected to the European and Australian jihadi network
- The role the Iraq war played in the mobilization and recruitment of a new generation
- Background on Fatah al-Islam
- The role Lebanese Sunni jihadis have played in the Syrian war and spillover attacks back home
- The Sunni Tragedy in the Middle East: Northern Lebanon from al-Qaeda to ISIS (Princeton Studies in Muslim Politics): Bernard Rougier
- Everyday Jihad: The Rise of Militant Islam among Palestinians in Lebanon: Bernard Rougier, Pascale Ghazaleh
Sponsor: WinterFest - Till January 1st get great deals on some of the best software for writers, researchers, and students! Save 25% on Scrivener, TextExpander, Tinderbox, DEVONthink Pro Office, and more!
Thanks to Haakon Jahr, Raihan Kadir, and Kaspars Gasuns for supporting the show. If you’d like to support the show, and get some cool rewards, check out the show’s Patreon page.
Download this episode (25MB mp3)